Customer
  • Customer: Marlborough College
  • Value: £3m
  • Duration: 35 weeks
  • Contract: JCT Traditional

 

Project Overview

This project was split over two phases, the works across both phases  consisted of the stripping out of the existing library and creating five new bedrooms, toilets and showers. The remodelling of the existing building creating four new bedrooms and a new extension to construct the House Masters Accommodation.

Alterations and refurbishment to part of the existing boarding house and external repair works. Remodelling the dormitory that slept six into individual rooms, all rooms were decorated.

We refurbished all timber windows and painted the building externally and made repairs to the concrete fire escape stairs. We completed a  complete strip out of the existing stud walls, mechanical and electrical works, bedroom furniture, structural alterations to form new openings and fitting new windows and doors.

The new bedrooms were created to Marlborough’s high standard. All rooms consisted of new beds and wardrobes all to a high quality finish.

Communal areas aesthetically pleasing with high end lighting re-varnished existing timber wainscoting and a new fully fitted  kitchen.

 

Added Value

Creating more bedrooms for the students of Marlborough College, with there being more accommodation this will lessen travel for many students

Refurbished sleeping quarters for boarding students. Students leaving home for the first time can become home sick, the refurbishment has really given will make the students feel comfortable within their surroundings

Enhanced day spaces for socialising and relaxing, giving the students chance to interact  with each other and build relationships

Modernised heating, electrical and security reducing carbon footprint and making a more comfortable environment.

 

Challenges and Solutions

The biggest challenge was the constricted programme, and the uncovering of badly deteriorated structural elements to the building. Once the condition of the existing building became apparent, we managed this by identifying and uncovering high risk items such as crumbling and bowed loadbearing brick walls at the earliest possible stage of the job and working closely with the customers design team to find the quickest build solution on site so as to keep any delays on site to a minimum.

This helped identify pinch points in the programme at the very start of the project, and micro-manage the critical path items with short term programmes monitored on a daily basis. Also enabling us to identify where we needed to accelerate works so rather than just reporting a delay to the client, we were in a position to provide the solution at the same time.

The project was delivered successfully and on time.

 

Lets get started

Get in touch today and we can arrange a meeting to see if we can help you.

Get in touch